Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Project 5: Mustasches

For my fifth art assignment I again took inspiration from a homework assignment (mustache-inspired for sculpture class), a self-portrait with a mustache finger. Mrs Rossi gave me the idea to do multiple prints with different mustaches. I chose to do the prints in complementary colors. I started by making a large print and used watercolor 
But Mrs Rossi asked me to use acrylic instead and to make smaller prints. I took my original image and scanned it into the computer, I then shrunk it and outlined it onto tracing paper. I redid my practice in acrylic and got this:
I was pleased with the more vibrant colors and so I cut out 9 squares of paper (I wanted to make a square and groups of 3) and traced each one individually with the tracing paper. I then retraced with sharpie. I then painted each in 3 different color schemes (a separate 4th later) but ended up messing up 3 of them (you should always make extra sheets...) one of them I messed up by making her face green... Always check ALL of your color schemes BEFORE doing on your final >~<. Unfortunately... The darker colors completely whipped out my lines and I had to retrace with a sharpie marker which is REALLY hard to do cause it fades... But managed it pretty well. Here is the final:

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sketchbook Assignment

We were given the assignment to take a 3D object and make it into a 2D art piece. I took a leaf and some flowers and a twig and turned it into a girl with a leaf umbrella walking past a tree in the rain. I think it looks pretty cute.... I used two different sharpies to make the outline and then used pencil to shade.

The End :D

Monday, October 7, 2013

Project 4: Phone Thingy

This idea just came to me because I have a old fake phone in my room that I bought at a Church yard sale for 2 dollars. Unlike my other art pieces thus far, this one doesn't really have much meaning. I mean, I'm sure you could make up something like "the people are trapped or consumed by the phone" or something artsy like that, but really...I just wanted to draw people in a phone. I did a lot of preplanning for this... took pictures, gathered references, put them in my sketchbook, made multiple sketches... but I wasn't really inspired by it and had to force myself to do it.


I really didn't want to do this project, but I had to get a fourth project done and ended up doing it all at home on one of the days I didn't have work. (I work a lot =.=' unfortunately.) I drew it all in pencil on a small canvas I had lying around and then traced everything in red. I then used prismacolors to color the sketch in and drew over the lines a second time with a black Bic permanent marker. because the surface was textured, the pencil and prismacolor got everywhere, it was really annoying. Once I got to school I decided to take it a step further and used water to blend out the prismacolor (mine are water-soluble). I added some shadow and ended up with this:

I think it turned out pretty well................................yup.

Project 3: Memories, Dreams, and Fears

       For my third project I was a bit stuck. I had a lot of ideas down in my sketchbook but none of them seemed to interest me. This project actually started out with a homework assignment.
       I chose the theme "Memories, Dreams, and Fears" and made a work to represent my memories of being bullied as a child and my fear of my frizzy hair. The girl represents my fear and what I was bullied for, my frizzy hair (which had caused people to call me ugly among numerous other things). The strings that were holding her were words that represented what I was called and what I thought about myself; words like ugly, insecure, fat, etc. My teacher, Mrs Rossi, told me that I should do something with this idea, so I took it and ran with it.
       I Started out by drawing the girl a little bigger on a sheet of my notebook and then cutting her out. I practiced making words out of some silver wire that I had. I Then thought about making a border with faces that looked like they're laughing and drew it in my sketchbook.

          I had cut out the border in black poster-board paper and attached the girl and the wires, but I wasn't really happy with it. It could go farther. After talking with another art teacher, Mr. Sands, he suggested that we make a box or frame to put it in. He made me a box for it out of some spare wood (a crooked box...but better than I could do) and I painted it black. I then wrote out words in a cut out of white poster-board which spoke about bullying. I didn't really plan these words, just let my mind sort of barf them out. After gluing everything together with rubber cement, I asked my classmates to write words that they had been bullied with as a interactive part of my piece.

wait, never mind, more pictures!
 The girl
 The post-it notes
The crooked box